Position: Program Associate for the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect
Application deadline: June 7, 2013
Start date: July 1, 2013
Overview of the position:
The International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP) is seeking a Program Associate to provide logistical and programmatic support to the ICRtoP team. The ICRtoP is a global network of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from around the world dedicated to advancing the Responsibility to Protect norm (RtoP, R2P) and the prevention of mass atrocities. The Secretariat of the ICRtoP is based in New York, and the Program Associate will work on a full-time basis alongside the rest of the Secretariat staff.
Content and strategy development
• Maintain website (posting articles and writing summary pages) and compile ICRtoP newsletter through regular monitoring of news and NGO activities
• Draft educational material on the Responsibility to Protect and related country situations
• Assist with drafting of fundraising proposals, factsheets, reports and other publications as needed
Advocacy and outreach
• Draft letters to policymakers advocating to increase support for the Responsibility to Protect and/or include the norm in relevant official documents/legislation
• Represent ICRtoP Secretariat at meetings with NGOs, governments and UN officials in New York and around the world
• Raise awareness of RtoP amongst NGOs, media, government and other actors on RtoP
• Assist in monitoring the ICRtoP’s social media, including through posting on the Coalition’s Facebook and Twitter accounts
Logistical coordination, financial and database maintenance
• Coordinate logistics (hotel, travel, catering, meeting supplies) for ICRtoP events in New York and internationally
• Coordinate travel arrangements and accommodations for International Secretariat travel and Coalition Steering Committee members
• Maintain legal and financial records as appropriate
• Maintain databases with contacts
• General supervision of interns, and overseeing the intern application process ahead of each term
• Strong familiarity with the Responsibility to Protect norm and related issues
• Knowledge of the United Nations system
• Undergraduate degree in International Relations, Human Rights, International Law or related subject or course of study
• Excellent writing and research skills
• Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, including the ability to work with a diverse range of people and organizations at the national, regional and international levels
• Exceptional organizational skills and comfortable facilitating and keeping track of logistics for conferences and events
• Strong communication and public speaking skills
• Ability to multi-task and work on a team, and comfortable with the constraints of deadlines
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office software and basic website, social media platform (Facebook and Twitter) management and Raiser’s edge
• Ability to be based in New York and travel internationally
Compensation: Full time, with benefits, including a comprehensive health-care package and 4 weeks vacation annually. Salary commensurate with experience and salary history.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send:
• A Curriculum Vitae;
• A Cover Letter stating your interest in this position
• Three references (name, title, affiliation and phone number);
• Information on authorization to work in the United States (citizen, permanent resident, Practical Training, etc.).
Please label the subject line according to this structure: ICRtoP.program.associate, last name, first name.
Deadline: June 7, 2013
The International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect is an equal opportunity employer, strongly committed to hiring and retaining a diverse and internationally representative staff. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. For more information about the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect, visit our website at www.responsibilitytoprotect.org.