Position: Social Media Coordinator & Blogger
Overview of position:
The International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP) is seeking a Social Media Coordinator and Blogger to oversee the organization’s social media platforms and maintain our blog site. The Social Media Coordinator and Blogger works to: 1) disseminate the work of the ICRtoP through its online forums; 2) exert creative control over and manage the ICRtoP’s social media platforms and blog; and 3) interact with ICRtoP social media followers on the activities of the ICRtoP and other NGOs, country cases, the Responsibility to Protect (RtoP, R2P) and related topics. This position is part-time and will start in January 2013 for an initial three month contract period with the potential for extension.
• Manage and maintain ICRtoP social media platforms to engage with our audience on the work of the ICRtoP, discussions and debates on RtoP, updates on country cases, and related topics. • Write blogs focusing on the Responsibility to Protect, countries in crisis, and related themes and topics. The frequency of posts will vary based on emerging crises, events, or other developments.
• Engage with Coalition members and partners directly to develop guest and collaborative blog posts. • Monitor developments related to RtoP at the United Nations, ongoing country situations, and related agendas and events.
• Strong familiarity with and interest in the Responsibility to Protect norm and related issues • Experience managing social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
• Excellent and creative writing and communication skills, particularly with social media and blogs • Ability to work independently and comfortable working to meet strict deadlines
• Knowledge of the United Nations system and background in international affairs, political science, history or other related areas
The Social Media Coordinator and Blogger position will require a minimum of 10-15 hours per week to develop blog posts and maintain the ICRtoP’s social media channels. Additionally, candidates must be available to constantly monitor developments and remain engaged online. A stipend is available to support this position and is negotiable based on the applicant’s experience.
The International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP) is a global network of NGOs working to build awareness of and support for the norm, strengthen capacities to prevent and halt genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity and mobilize NGOs to push for action to save lives in RtoP country-specific situations.