A Peaceful Resolution to the Crisis in the Congo
Open Society Initiative for South Africa
31 October 2008
We issue this open letter to all citizens of this continent, and in particular to our heads of states and governments, members of parliament in the respective countries, the United Nations and senior leaders within the SADC and African Union secretariats, demanding that they take urgent action to broker a political solution to the long-standing crisis in the DRC.
To this end, we call upon:
() 1. The Mission des Nations Unies en Rpublique Dmocratique du Congo (MONUC) to fully implement its mandate, including invoking Chapter VII of the UN Charter that allows MONUC to use force if necessary to protect the people of the Kivus;
2. The African Union to immediately call an emergency Summit to address the crisis;
3. The United Nations and the African Union to monitor the implementation of the Great Lakes Pact with immediate effect;
4. The DRC government and Parliament, to fully comply with their constitutional duty to protect their people without any discrimination.
5. Countries surrounding the DRC to refrain from fuelling conflict;
6. Civil society in Africa, particularly in Angola, Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi to hold their governments accountable to the AU Constitutive Act and to begin this process through the convening of A Civil Society Peace Summit to take place urgently in the DRC. ()